Food Service

School Menus: NEW FOR 2014-2015 School Year

Children need healthy meals to learn. The Laurel County Public Schools offer healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $.85; lunch costs $1.25/1.50.   Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is $.30 for breakfast and $.40 for lunch. Below are some common questions and answers to aid in the process of determining your child’s eligibility.

  1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?  No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Tammy Hammock, 718 North Main Street, London KY 40741, 606.862.4600.
  2. Who can get free meals? All children in households receiving benefits from SNAP or KTAP can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household’s gross income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.

STOP!! If you have received a NOTICE OF DIRECT CERTIFICATION for free meals, do not complete the application. But do let the school know if any children in your household are not listed on the Notice of Direct Certification letter you received.

  1. CAN FOSTER CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS?  Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals.  You must complete an application for foster children.
  1. Can homeless, runaway, HEAD START and migrant children get free meals? Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.  If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail Denise Griebel, Deputy Superintendent, at 606.862.4608.
  2. WHO CAN GET REDUCED PRICE MEALS?  Your children can get reduced price meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Eligibility Income Chart, shown on this application.
  3. SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS?  No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions.  Call the school at 606.862.4600 if you have questions.
  4. MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR.  DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE?  Yes.  Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year.  You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.
  5. I GET WIC.  CAN MY CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please send in an application.
  1. Will the information I give be checked? Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.
  2. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
  3. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to Doug Bennett, Ed.D., Superintendent, 718 North Main Street, London KY 40741, 606.862.4600,    
  4. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your children do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals.
  5. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you.  If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.
  6. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
  7. We are in the military. do we include our housing allowance as income? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.
  8. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone is THEIR combat pay counted as income?  No, if the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of her deployment and it wasn’t received before she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income.  Contact your child’s school for more information.
  9. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 855-306-8959.


If you have other questions or need help, call 606.862.4600.


We look forward to welcoming your children to the cafeteria this fall. To find out more about Laurel County Schools healthy school meals visit, and to get the facts about school meals visit

Thank you!

Lunch Menus
Elementary School
SLMS Menus NLMS Menus SLHS Menus NLHS Menus
Meals Meals Meals Meals Meals


Lunch Form Information & Application
School Breakfast Program
Household Application
for Free or Reduced Meals
Free/Reduced Meal Application Instructions

Cafeteria Information:
Individuals with severe food allergies or strict diets should confirm the ingredient and nutrient information on the actual product label. The cafeteria managers can assist with this information.

 The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Nutritional Information:
Somerset Foods

Commodity Food Fact Sheet

2014 Nutrition & Physical Activity Report Card
Adobe Reader File

*Adobe Reader is required to view these files. You can download it here.

Contact Us
Laurel County Schools 718 North Main Street
London, KY 40741
  View Map & Directions
  Phone: 606-862-4600
  Fax: 606-862-4601